Saturday, June 15, 2013

Reflecting on the School Year

This time last year I was in limbo.  I had packed up my stuff from both counseling offices and waited to see what was next.  Aaron and I knew that when I had Jackson we didn't want me to work full time. Being raised with stay-at-home moms, that is how we envisioned raising our family.  Knowing I still needed to work at least part-time, we waited to see if the district would have a place for me.  Sure enough I was sent an email telling me my new position was the part-time counselor at Young Men's Leadership Academy.  I honestly didn't know much about the school other than it was brand new to the district. I knew from reading the school website that it was going to be different.  A good different.  The last week in July, Mr. White scheduled for all the staff to come together for a week of team building and putting all the strategies for the school in place.  Pretty cool being a part of the groundwork of a school.  Pretty cool to be a part of the making of history.


 
At the ribbon cutting.
  

 On Career Day.
 
With Soria, our school secretary, on the last day of school after our awards ceremony.  Couldn't have coordinated that event or any other event I was in charge of without her!  She's the BEST!!!
 
As I look back on this first year, I am so proud to say I was a part of this great school.  I don't necessarily feel like I did a whole lot because I wasn't there every day.  I didn't meet with students like I want to as a counselor.  I was honestly feeling my way around the new position and trying to find my place.  I feel like I was kind of the behind the scene person that helped make some of the extraneous pieces of the puzzle fit together.  I didn't do a lot of counseling, but I already know how I can make that happen more next year.  It's interesting how one year under your belt at a school really helps you see where you need to go next and what you need to do to improve.  I will be forever grateful for this experience and being a part of the "Dream Team" as Principal White calls us. 

There are times I think- "Wow, I wish I could have stumbled upon this position pre-Jackson!" But then I remember without Jackson and wanting to be part-time, I wouldn't have even had this opportunity.  After all, as much as I really like my job, the best part is being at home with Jackson.  I love that I am able to be at home with him and really get to do the ins and outs of mommyhood.  Working full-time doesn't allow for that.  When you only see your baby 3 maybe 4 hours a day, it's just not the same.  The other huge factor is that RaRa and Meema are watching J the days I work.  That is a huge relief for Aaron and me.  I can't even imagine putting him in daycare.  I have hard enough time leaving him in the nursery for Bible class every Sunday!  We are certainly blessed to be able to leave him with our moms!!!  And we are so thankful that they so willingly want to do this week after week!

 
 
I am abundantly blessed with an opportunity to work a little and still be with my baby.  I know there are many who dream of that!  So as I close the chapter on this past year at YMLA, I look forward to the next school year and what it holds.  I'm going to enjoy this gig of balancing being a school counselor and J's mommy as best I can.


No comments :

Post a Comment